The top dirtiest areas in the office can vary depending on the number of people working daily in the office building, the space layout, and the type of work that’s being done. Since the office workplace is where many people gather to work together, it’s also where germs, bacteria, and viruses can easily spread. Some of the dirtiest areas in the office are those areas we use every day without giving it a second thought. Did you know 98% of employees are affected by sickness due to dirty surroundings? And 60% of illnesses that result in absence from work are contracted from equipment in the office contaminated by staph and other bacteria.
There are some common areas in your commercial space that tend to accumulate the most dirt, germs, and bacteria that can cause illnesses, resulting in employee sick time.
Discover the top dirtiest areas in your office workplace:
1. Restrooms: This is probably the most obvious area where germs and bacteria thrive, especially on surfaces like toilet seats, door handles, and sinks. In fact, workplace restroom faucet handles are big germs spreaders – along with the toilet flush handle.
Bonus: Anago franchisees provide touchless soap and paper towel dispensers, so you never need to touch those surface areas in the office restrooms.
It may be surprising to know that pathogenic E. coli can survive and grow in bathroom drains and sinks. Water accumulates and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, like E. coli, staph, and Salmonella. If not properly cleaned and disinfected, bacteria can continue to thrive and spread, so it’s important to clean and disinfect bathrooms, drains, and surrounding surfaces regularly, to help prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.
2. Carpets and upholstery: These areas can trap dust, dirt, and other contaminants, which accumulate over time if not regularly cleaned.
Between the off-gassing of VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds), and serving as a haven for bacteria and mold spores, you’ll never look at carpet the same way again. Every time you roll your chair back and forth on the mat, every footstep, you may be releasing mold spores and unhealthy bacteria into the air. This causes asthma, allergies, and a host of other conditions. Commercial janitorial experts, like Anago franchisees, use advanced hot water extraction processes to sanitize carpets, as the hot water loosens stubborn particles and kills germs and bacteria.
Investing in professional commercial cleaning services is the best way to minimize natural wear and tear and save you money in the long run.
3. Kitchens and break rooms: Areas where food is consumed and prepared can easily become breeding grounds for bacteria and germs, especially if food particles are left behind. Just like restroom faucets, kitchen faucets, sinks, and counters can harbor harmful bacteria. Coffee is a staple in most offices, but the coffee pot handle, as well as refrigerator and microwave handles, are particularly dirty. And don’t forget about the communal office water fountain – definitely a breeding site for germs and pathogens, especially if not cleaned regularly.
4. Office desks and workstations: You wouldn’t think your desk can be that dirty – it can. In fact, office desktops are more than 400 times dirtier than a toilet seat and contain 100 times more bacteria than a kitchen table.
Your workstation includes a keyboard, mouse, and telephone and they’re constantly touched throughout the day, making them prime spots for bacteria to accumulate. Studies show that keyboards can have up to 20,000 bacteria per square inch and desk phones (another frequently used item that is often overlooked) can have up to 25,000 germs per square inch.
P.S. Don’t forget about the elevator button panel!
And Anago franchisees provide research-based green cleaning methods using non-toxic cleaning agents to provide a healthier, more productive workplace with less environmental impact.
5. Reception / waiting area / conference room: Visitors and staff often frequent these areas, which can bring additional germs and bacteria into the office. The office waiting area and lobby sofas, chairs, and other upholstery contain skin cells, sweat, and other bacteria requiring special cleaning equipment and products. Neglecting your building's assets makes them look old and unsightly. Hiring a professional cleaning company that knows how to clean every part of your facility helps protect your physical assets and your brand integrity.
Viruses, like the flu, can survive in the workplace for up to 3 days, so it's crucial that you’re aware of the dirtiest areas in the office workplace and take steps to keep them clean and sanitized. Rotational commercial cleaning services help prevent the spread of germs and keep everyone in your office healthy and comfortable.
A regularly cleaned and disinfected office building helps to maintain a healthy commercial space. Keep a Cleaning Checklist handy in your office to remind everyone about the importance of a clean, safe, and healthy environment – every day. Invest in your business and your employees and consult a professional commercial cleaning company for your office cleaning needs.